Let’s take a quick tour through headlines on Guam
- Pacificare Threatens To Drop GovGuam – Okay, since there appears to be a resolution in the dispute between my company and GovGuam, let me go ahead and link to the story arc in the PDN.
- Filming Continues in Max Havoc * Without Carmen Electra – While discussion continues among the politicians about guaranteeing bridge financing for this movie on Guam, the cameras are rolling. Yesterday’s big beach scene was billed in the newspapers all week as a “chance to party with Carmen Electra,” only she isn’t on island yet.
- A Cancer Research Center On Guam – Groundbreaking this week for a Cancer Research Center at the University of Guam. A $3.6 million grant from the National Institutes of Health will help forge a partnership between this new center on Guam and the Cancer Research Center of Hawaii.
- Searching For Genetic Markers For Obesity Among Kosraeans – Geneticists are studying Kosraeans, looking for a genetic predisposition for obesity. A recent report highlights the health problems in Kosrae that are linked to diet, and how modern food is contributing to obesity and diabetes among Pacific Islanders. The Kosraean traditionalist mentioned in the article, Tadao Wakuk, is the guide I had when I visited Kosrae five years ago.
- Undersea Exploration Wraps Up – Oregon State University scientists just completed a successful exploration of the submerged seamounts of the Marianas archipelago, mapping the undersea mountain range and recording pockets of deep sea life clustered around ‘black smokers.’ The even witnessed a small undersea eruption of an active volcano.