Some recent movies I’ve watched:
- Blues in the Night: my momma done told me | when i was a knee high | my momma done told me | a womans a two face | a troublesome thing | who’ll leave you to sing | the blues in the night…
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: About what I expected: a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. An hour into the movie my rental DVD started acting up because of scratches. I took it in the next night and got the videotape instead. That’s what really bothers me about this movie – I wasted two nights watching a bad movie. I demand a refund of my lost time.
- The Misfits: It’s been years since I watched the Misfits, and I couldn’t resist when I caught the opening credits on TCM a couple days ago. Clark Gable in his last movie, Marilyn Monroe in her last movie, Montgomery Clift, Eli Wallach, and Thelma Ritter. The casting is powerhouse, the story disturbing, the backstory engrossing. Clark Gable died just days after production wrapped, and his wife blamed his heart attack on the stress of the movie and doing all his own stunts.
- The Terminal: This movie didn’t do much for me. Tom Hanks now bugs me almost as much as Tom Cruise. I can’t stand watching him on the screen anymore. And every time I see Catherine Zeta-Jones I think “What a shame Michael Douglas is tapping that ass.”
- Dawn of the Dead (2004): Actually not that bad for what it was. Zombies, people with guns shooting zombies, and more zombies. Did I mention zombies? Not a bad remake of George Romero’s low budget classic.
- Nation Treasure: I watched this at a matinee in Cairns a couple weeks ago. Not bad, a popcorn flick cashing in on the Da Vinci Code’s success. Definitely kid’s fare, despite the A$14 ticket price.